A Japanese folk tale about the brave daughter of a samurai warrior and her journey to be reunited with her exiled father. When Tokoyo’s father, a samurai nobleman, is sent into exile on a lonely island in a distant sea, his young daughter is determined to join him. Despite her noble birth, Tokoyo has spent much time with the amas, the agile women divers of Japan who harvest shellfish from the sea, and she is strong and brave as any samurai herself. Setting out on her journey to join her father, Tokoyo encounters many terrors and trials, including bandits in the mountains, a ghost ship on the high seas, and finally a monstrous sea serpent. Finally, she reunite with her beloved father.
- ISBN: 9780140562842
- Author: San Souci, Robert
- Illustrator: Johnson, Stephen
- Published: 1997 , Penguin Group (Canada)
- Themes: Determination, Folktales and Fairytales, Islands, Journey, strength, terror, warrior
- Descriptors: Folklore and Fairy Tales, Japan, Picture Book, Primary (ages 6-9)
- No. of pages: 32