This gorgeous picture book by Newbery Honor winner Patricia C. McKissack and two-time Caldecott Medal-winning husband-and-wife team Leo and Diane Dillon is sure to become a treasured keepsake for African American families. Set in West Africa, here is a lyrical story-in-verse about a young black boy who is kidnapped and sold into slavery, which will remind children that their slave ancestors should never be forgotten, and that family is more important than anything else.
- ISBN: 9780375843846
- Author: McKissack, Patricia C.
- Illustrators: Dillon, Diane; Dillon, Leo
- Published: 2011 , Random House Children's Books
- Themes: African American, blacksmith, Family, Kidnapping, slavery
- Descriptors: Africa, Historical Fiction, Intermediate (ages 9-14), Mali, Picture Book, Primary (ages 6-9)
- No. of pages: 48