Kathy G. Short, 2014
Paired Books: Reading Against another Perspective
1. Differing Perspectives of Authors and Illustrators
Kashmira Sheth, Keeping Corner and Gloria Whelan, Homeless Bird
Jerrie Oughton, The Magic Weaver of Rugs, Ill. Lisa Desimini and Lois Duncan, The Magic of Spider Woman, Ill. Shonto Begay
Ramona Maher, Alice Yazzie’s Year, Ill. Stephen Gammell and Ramona Maher, Alice Yazzie’s Year, Ill. Shonto Begay.
Robert San Souci, Song of Sedna, Illus. Daniel San Souci and Beverly B. McDermott, Sedna.
2. Differing Perspectives of the Same Event
Linda Sue Park, When My Name Was Keoko and Yoko Watkins, So Far From the Bamboo Grove
Yukio Tsuchiya, Faithful Elephants. Ill. Ted Lewin, Trans. Tomoko Tsuchiya Dykes and Originalpicture book in Japanese, ISBN 4-323-00211-4
Rosalyn Schanzer, George Vs George: The American Revolution from Both Sides
Jean Fritz, And Then What Happened, Paul Revere? and Can’t You Make Them Behave, King George?
Claire Nivola, Planting the Trees of Kenya and Jeanette Winter, Wangari’s Trees of Peace
Jen Cullterton Johnson, Seeds of Change, Illus. Sonia Sadler and Donna Jo Napoli, Mama Miti, Illus. Kadir Nelson
3. Connections between Familiar and Global Cultures
Linda Urban, Hound Dog True and Lynn Joseph, The Color of My Words
Sharon Wyeth, Something Beautiful, Illus. Chris Soetpiet and Florence Heide & Judith H. Gilliland, Sami and the Time of Troubles, Ill. Ted Lewin.
Gloria Anzaldúa. Friends from the Other Side/Amigos del otro lado. Ill. Consuelo Méndez and Antonio Skármeta, The Composition. Ill. Alfonso Ruano
Karen Lynn Williams. Galimoto, Ill. Catherine Stock and Mo Willems, Knuffle Bunny.
Taro Yashima. Crow Boy and Virginia Fleming, Be Good to Eddie Lee, Ill. Floyd Cooper
4. Challenging Stereotypes
Ifeoma Onyefulu, Grandma Comes to Stay, (Ghana) and Nigel Gray, A Country Far Away, Ill. Philippe Dupasquier
Uma Krishnaswami, Monsoon, Ill. Jamel Akib (India) and Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw, Same, Same but Different
Virginia Grossman, Ten Little Rabbits, Ill. Sylvia Long and Luci Tapahonso and Eleanor Schick, Navajo ABC Ill. Eleanor Schick.
Shel Silverstein, The Giving Tree and Anthony Browne, Piggybook
Deborah Wiles, Freedom Summer. Ill. Jerome Lagarrigue and Jacqueline Woodson, The Other Side, E.B. Lewis
Evelyn Coleman, White Socks Only, Ill. Tyrone Geter and Matt Faulkner, A Taste of Colored Water
Claire Huchet Bishop. The Five Chinese Brothers. Ill. Kurt Wiese
Margaret Mahy, Seven Chinese Brothers, Ill. Mou-Sien Tseng or Kuang-Tsai Hao, Seven Magic Brothers, Ill. Eva Wang. English Trans. Rick Charette or Helen Bannerman, The Story of Little Black Sambo
The Story of Little Babaji, Ill. Fred Marcellino and Julius Lester, Sam and the Tigers. Ill. Jerry Pinkney
Felix Pitre, Juan Bobo and the Pig, Illus. Christy Hale and Marisa Montes, Juan Bobo Goes to Work, Illus. Joe Cepeda
5. Contrasting Views of Values
Trustworthiness: Build trust through integrity, honesty, loyalty, promise-keeping.
• Bunting, Eve, A Day’s Work, Illustrated by David Diaz
• Amado, Elisa, Tricycle, Illustrated by Alfonso Ruano
Respect: Honor the dignity and worth of each person
• Alexis O’Neill, The Recess Queen, Illusrated by Laura Huliska-Beit
• Cofelt, Nancy, Fred Stays with Me, Illustrated by Tricia Tusa
Responsibility: Accountability, self-control, self-reliance, persistence, hard-working
• Wyeth, Sharon, Something Beautiful, Illustrated by Chris Soentpiet
• Bang, Molly, When Sophie Gets Angry…Really, Really Angry
Fairness: Consistent, careful decision-making, equitable treatment
• Khan, Rukhsana, Big Red Lollipop, Illustrated by Sophie Blackall.
• Recorvits, Helen, Yoon and the Jade Bracelet, Illustrated by Gabi Swiatkowska
Caring: Kind, compassionate, empathetic, forgiving, grateful
• Fleming, Virginia, Be Good to Eddie Lee, Illustrated by Floyd Cooper
• Steptoe, John, Stevie
Citizenship: Obey laws, improve well-being of others, active participation
• Ansuldúa, Gloria, Friends from the Other Side, Illustrated by Consuelo Méndez
• McGovern, Ann, The Lady in the Box, Illustrated by Marni Backe
6. Fiction/Nonfiction Pairs
Pam Muñoz Ryan, Esperanza Rising with S. Beth Atkin, Voices from the Fields.
Patricia Reilly Giff, Nory Ryan’s Song with Susan Bartoletti, Black Potatoes: The Story of the Great Irish Potato Famine
Karen Hesse, Out of the Dust with Jerry Stanley, Children of the Dust Bowl
Elizabeth Winthrop, Counting on Grace with Russell Freedman, Kids at Work
Carl Hiassen, Flush with Loree Griffith Burns, Tracking Trash
Linda Sue Park, Project Mulberry with Richard Sobol, The Story of Silk
Jane Yolen, Owl Moon with Jim Arnosky, All about Owls
Janelle Cannon, Stellaluna with Sandra Markle’s Little Lost Bat or Outside and Inside Bats
Karma Wilson, A Frog in the Bog with John Himmelman, Frog in a Bog
Leo Lionni, A Color of My Own with Joy Cowley, Chameleon, Chameleon , Illus.Nic Bishop
Pat Hutchins, The Doorbell Rang with David Adler, Fraction Fun
Julius Lester, John Henry with Scott Nelson, Ain’t Nothing but a Man: My Quest to Find the Real John Henry
Strategies for Interacting with Paired Picture Books
Reading the books:
• Read and discuss one book and then read and discuss the second book on another day.
• Read both books in one sitting as partners or a small group and then discuss
• One person/ partners read one book and the other person/partners read the other. Share with each other.
• One half of the class read and discuss one book while the other half read and discuss the other book. Form partners from the two groups to meet and compare books.
Strategies for discussing:
• Web observations about the two books
• Create a comparison chart, selecting 4-5 categories for comparison.
• Create a Venn Diagram to record comparisons
• Create Heart Maps to compare the values/beliefs of the main characters across the 2 books
3- column chart to show how the two books:
• Connect to each other
• Extend each other
• Challenge each other.